The Sistine Chapel in the Vatican was built by Pope IV Sixtus in the 1470s. In the chapel, there were six windows on both long walls, the altar and two windows on the entrance wall. In 1508, Pope II Julius commissioned Michelangelo to make the ceiling frescoes of the chapel. Michelangelo placed the figures of the Old Testament prophets in the vault beginnings between the windows on both walls of the chapel. He also depicted the figures of the female priests believed to have foretold the future of Jesus.